Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rubber meets the road

In my last post I wrote about not working full time and my worries about rest and how I would use my time. What's been on my mind the last few days has been another frequent worry, MONEY.

The hubby and I were pretty good at communicating about our finances even before we were married and sat down with a financial planning friend about a month after the wedding to get everything joined together. But a couple days ago we had to take a serious look at our finances and see how we were going to do this on one consistent salary. A very humbling afternoon.

And then yesterday, my car overheated on the interstate. Right now I'm waiting for the call from the dealership and praying. A lot.

I've struggled with trusting God to provide ever since college. The first verse I memorized was Matthew 6:34. "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have trouble of its own. Today's trouble is enough for today."

Did God provide for me in college? Yes. Has He provided for my needs before and after that? Yes. Did it mean that I sometimes had to sacrifice things I wanted to take care of things that were needed? Yes. Do we have support from friends and family that could help in emergencies? Yes. Will I be able to take it with me? No.

So why do I still worry?

The psalm from Mass today, 68, says, "A bountiful rain you showered down, O God, upon your inheritance; you restored the land when it languished; Your flock settled in it; in your goodness, O God, you provided it for the needy."

I came across this blog post today, another reminder from God about the blessings of poverty.
http://www.ncregister.com/blog/the-blessings-of-poverty?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NCRegisterDailyBlog+National+Catholic+Register#When:2011-06-7

God, help me in my unbelief.

1 comment:

  1. So inspiring and interesting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete