Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Growing up

There's something about hearing words from your mom versus anyone else.

Given the condition and age of my car, my husband and I decided to trade in both of our cars and go down to one new vehicle. It's the same kind of car that I had before but a few years ago its style was changed. So yesterday I drove the new car for the first time to the Y so I could swim laps. When I came out I took a picture of the car and sent it to my mom. As I was driving around running errands, seeing many others of the same car on the road, I realized that I have a grown-up, practical car now. We decided on this car for all these adult reasons-safety, more space, gas mileage.

My mom emailed me back about the picture saying, "That's not a ride-it's a minivan. Plenty of room for car seats and strollers?"

She knows I have a huge aversion to minivans. I have said for years that if I ever have kids I will never drive a minivan because of all it represents to me-a sheltered, suburban lifestyle that I thankfully never had growing up (explains the laugh my mom got from the picture). Not that there's anything wrong with living in the suburbs-it's cheaper, quieter, safer-it's just not for me.

But deep down I knew Mom was somewhat right. We are hoping to start a family soon and the decisions we've made the last couple months, like buying this car, are in preparation for that.

I have a feeling that I as I keep getting older my mom is just going to keep be even more right about things, but don't tell her I said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment