Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Monday, December 17, 2018

New Year's Resolution?

So I haven't posted to this blog in two years.  In that time I've changed jobs and had another baby, so I've been a little busy.  That new job is teaching at a Catholic school again.  For Advent this year different staff members signed up to write reflections on the daily Mass readings for everyone.  I jumped at the chance and really enjoyed the opportunity to dig into the same passage of Scripture repeatedly, meditate on it throughout the week and already be familiar with it on Sunday, especially since I am distracted by my kids most of the time.  While at Mass I was convicted to make this a weekly habit.  I know that life is going to get in the way sometimes (currently my bedroom is covered in a mountain of laundry and Christmas cards that need to get sent out) but I am going to try to make the time.  And if I use this blog as a way to post them, maybe I'll have a little bit of accountability to post them.  I'm already behind because I didn't post the reflections for Gaudete Sunday yesterday (a day that went very differently from what we originally planned earlier in the week) but the message of a rejoicing still applies as Christmas gets closer.

Today is also referred to as Gaudete Sunday, which comes from a Latin word meaning rejoice. You’ll notice this theme repeated in the first and second readings and responsorial psalm. We are just over a week away from Christmas and the time for celebrating Our Lord’s arrival is near.

But this doesn’t always feel like a joyful time. To do lists at work are long as we finish out the semester, there are extra financial burdens, and social media can put unrealistic expectations on creating the best memories, decorations, and meals. The holiday season can be a painful reminder of the loved ones who are no longer here to celebrate with us and hopes for 2018 that were unfulfilled.

Today’s second reading from Philippians is popular for good reason. No matter our circumstances we have reason to rejoice, because the Lord is near to us.  St. Paul knew this better than anyone, as he was in prison when he wrote this letter. For us, every time we pray, sing hymns, and read His Word, Christ is there.  We encounter Him every time we receive the Eucharist and worship in adoration. And He is present within all the people we encounter as we live out the words of today’s gospel and share the blessings we have with those in need.  I love that as a member of the POP community I have these opportunities with my co-workers and students all the time!

In the midst of this particularly busy time of year I am trying to remember to view this season of anticipation with joy as my young children and our students do. While they are more excited about presents and Santa (though I am trying to teach them otherwise!) I can rejoice knowing that my mighty savior is here.  One of my favorite ways to worship during Advent and Christmas is with the music of Chris Tomlin.  Take a few minutes today to listen and rejoice!

And now to get started for the 4th Sunday of Advent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment