Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Sunday, December 23, 2018

4th Sunday of Advent

When was the last time you read the book of Micah? Years ago I went through a plan to read the entire bible so I know that
I have read it before, but that was probably the only time.


On constant replay in our van right now is a children’s Christmas CD that is songs of just scripture. One of the songs comes
from this first reading. I love that from a young age my children will hear these words of prophecy dozens of times more than
I ever did.  I also love how the church fathers organize the readings throughout the liturgical year to teach us about God and
how the Bible is truly a story about His Son. A cross reference to the reading from Micah is Isaiah chapter 7, which was
another reading earlier this week prophesying the coming of Christ.


A theme of Christmas that has stood out to me in the last few years was Christ’s humility. My last three babies were all born
in the fall so I’ve had wee ones at Christmas multiple times, my son only being 6 weeks old. I think of how helpless and tiny
these newborns are and am amazed that the savior of the world came into the world to live among us the same way the rest of
us do. In the reading from Micah Bethlehem is the least in the lands of Judah. It’s where King David came from, and he was the
youngest and least among his own brothers. (So was Joseph in the book of Genesis.) God frequently uses those who appear to
be weak to do great things.


How does that apply to my own life? God has convicted me this year to grow in humility and uses my children to teach me
this often. I’ve worked with children for 25 years and have a two education degrees but that goes out the window trying to
raise my own.  The hours that I spend cleaning, cooking, and running errands feels mundane and unimportant, but keeping
our home running in a godly way is building up the domestic church. I see former colleagues advance in their careers while
I returned to the classroom, but just this week I received notes from former students thanking me for teaching them last year,
and I remember why I wanted to work directly with kids again.

At the end of the passage in Micah in verse 4 it says, “he shall be peace.” Instead of reacting to each unexpected situation
throughout the day, I am challenged to live as Mary and Elizabeth did, with joy and humility knowing that our Savior will
bring everlasting peace in any circumstance. One way that helps me is praying the Litany of Humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment