Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Adventures in Home Ownership

I've heard stories of other people having challenges with their houses right after moving in so I was somewhat prepared to expect the unexpected...and we have had a few "surprises".

We hadn't even moved in yet and one night strong winds tore off some shingles on the roof.
The garbage disposal and dishwasher didn't work.  But...my awesome husband fixed them both without spending any money!
We have a leak under the kitchen sink.
We have some unwanted visitors and had a pest control company come out this week.
Our dryer died this week.

I have reminded myself multiple times that these are all rich people's problems and that has helped to keep these inconveniences from becoming more stressful.  I have also tried to remember the truth of John 10:10-"A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy; I came so that they might have life and live it more abundantly."  The Enemy wants to rob us of the joy that is this gift of a home and we must fight back with God's truth and promise.

With that being said, here is what I love about our new home-
My husband's commute is cut in half, which means he gets home earlier each night.
We have two toilets!
Full size washer and dryer = less time doing laundry.
The munchkin doesn't have half of her room as an office.
A large fenced-in backyard with a basketball hoop.
Our new floors (you may have seen the pics on Facebook).
Being able to paint the walls whatever color we want (again, see Facebook).
Having friends within walking distance.
Our city library is awesome.
Everything we need for running errands is close.
Returning to my former parish and seeing lots of old friends.  A classmate of my husband is a priest there!
The neighborhood is quiet.

I'm hoping to write posts as we do improvements.  Almost all of the boxes are unpacked and we're about at the point we can hang things on the wall.  It's been fun to find things I didn't use at our old house that I wished I had (the garlic mincer is my new favorite kitchen accessory) and reorganize and keep on purging things we don't need.  Having a mobile baby has slowed me down but we're making progress.

1 comment:

  1. We've lived in our home for over 10 years and I am still "just getting around" to improving things I've hated for a long time. We're finally tackling the bathrooms - - 1992 called . . . they want their bathrooms back.:)

    It's a fun process and you are lucky to have someone who it very handy around the house. Patrick is a good "student" and willing to learn. :-)

    ReplyDelete