Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Sunday, April 4, 2010

A reason why I love being Catholic-

It's technically 3: the Easter Triduum. Despite 29 years of being a Catholic this is the first year I participated in all 3 services-Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil. I was thinking last night that if people, Christian or not, attended the Triduum they would want to become Catholic afterwards. It was such a wonderful way to culminate a really fruitful time of Lenten sacrifice. Yesterday I really got what the disciples must have felt on that Saturday, that anticipation of what was to come. I was so looking forward to the celebration of the Resurrection.

I've been to Holy Thursday Mass a few times before, but what was unique this time was that there were some children to get their feet washed by the priests. How special that must've been for them! If they're anything like me, priests are heroes, the celebrities of the church and to have them humble themself in that way would be so special.

We went to the Good Friday service at 3, the time when Jesus would've died. I think the Catholic Church more than any other really focuses on that day, all that happened to Christ, and you can't help but be moved when you kneel in front of the crucifix. The priest's homily went straight to my heart; he talked about how Jesus truly gave it all that day and that God calls us to the same. I know that I hold back, when I talk to others about my desires, and with God in my prayers (or lack of it). It's out of fear of disappointment, that if I put those feelings out there, I'm exposed and could get let down. I will experience pain sometimes, but then there's redemption to follow.

The Easter Vigil was amazing. At the beginning the church is darkness until our candles were lit, starting with the Easter candle, representing Christ as the light. We heard the stories of creation, Abraham, Isaac, and Moses, then the lights came on, the Hallelujah was sung and we heard of the empty tomb. I got to see about 30 people get baptized and come into the Catholic church, 7 of whom were children (including 2 I've been teaching). We all stood and applauded for them, just as I am sure they were celebrating in heaven. I worshipped while the choir sang from Handel's Messiah after communion.

Catholics know how to celebrate!

Today was spent enjoying great food, drink, and conversation with family and friends. I am so blessed. But I was talking to my boyfriend on the way home from a friend's house about tomorrow. I am totally on that God-high, like I feel after being on a retreat, but now I have to get back to the "real world" of my routine and work. How can I avoid going back into bad habits out of laziness and forgetfulness?

It reminds me of the Transfiguration (Matthew 17) and Peter's desire to hold onto that mountaintop experience. But God quickly steps in and commands Peter, James, and John to listen to His Son, who tells them not to be afraid. And that's the lesson I think. God gives us these amazing times where we should want to praise and glorify Him, but they are only temporary here on Earth. When we're off the mountain we need to follow what Jesus did and live in a trusting relationship with Our Father. I've learned so much during these last 6weeks and now I need to put it into practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment