Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankful

In the spirit of the holiday I wanted to write about what I am thankful for this year-

My husband
He rides his bike 28 miles a day to and from work in whatever weather so I can have the car during the day.  Despite being tired when he gets home from a 12 hour day, he always has a smile on his face for us and is willing to jump in and take care of the munchkin so I can have a break or work on other things.  He is a great spiritual leader for our family and adores our daughter.

The munchkin
I have never learned so much about patience, humility, and sacrifice than in these last 8 months.  I have spent my life around kids but I had no idea how hard it would be until I had my own.  My priorities are completely different now.  I don't take showers and 8 straight hours of sleep for granted anymore.  Everyday is new and I love being able to share new experiences with her.  She is growing so fast, just like everyone told me she would.

God's provision
I am so grateful that I am able to stay home with L and work periodically.  It's been a sacrifice but we've never been without.  We've learned what we have to have, pray all the time about good stewardship, and have been blessed by the generosity of others.

Our church
I love being Catholic, its rich tradition, the beauty of the Mass, the wonderful priests we can call friends, the Sacraments.  My time with God is different now, but thanks in part to iPhone apps, I have my time with Him everyday.

Community
We have seen each other get married, lose and get jobs, travel overseas, have babies, lose loved ones, move all over the metroplex and experience physical and spiritual highs and lows.  These women have made me who I am and continue to teach me how to follow Christ and be a godly wife and mother.  They also are happy to watch the munchkin so we can get a date night every once in awhile.

My best friend from back home just visited and I realized the night before she left that we've been friends for 20 years next year.  We have been through the worst and best of times together. She is one of the most generous and sacrificial women I know.  I can count on her to always tell me the truth and she's the best shopping buddy I could ever have!

Since becoming a mother I've developed new friendships with other moms.  As much as I cherish my friendships with those who aren't parents, there's a different connection with women who understand my life now.  They get conversations about diapers and breastfeeding and making your own baby food.  They are a constant source of advice and understanding about each new challenge.

Our parents
It's been amazing to see how a baby has changed my parents.  They just light up around her and smile so much more.  They've been another invaluable source of advice and encouragement and free baby-sitting.  I'm beginning to appreciate even more the sacrifices they made to raise me.  I am so grateful that my in-laws live close by and that L gets to see them so often.  They also spoil her rotten!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment