Luke 10:41-42

"But the Lord answered her, 'Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing.'"

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Changes

So how have I spent my day so far?
Folding and hanging laundry on the clothesline. Seeing little onesies flapping in the breeze is one of the cutest things ever.
Made my own granola bars using a recipe on Pinterest. They're cooling right now, so I'm not sure if they were worth the effort or not.
Doing dishes from the cooking.
I did all these things while Little L was in her carrier. Fabulous to be able to use two hands again!

So it got me thinking about how much has changed in the last three years. In April of 2009 I was single, not talking to any guys. I had made a commitment to God a few weeks earlier that I wasn't going to compromise what I really wanted (a strong Catholic man) anymore and if that meant not dating, then so be it. Little did I know that I'd be set up with one two months later, we'd be engaged in less than a year, and pregnant six months after getting married.

Being a stay at home mom was not a goal of mine in college. My mom was one only for my first year, so my role model was a working student who eventually earned her PhD and I wanted to be the same. It wasn't until I started teaching that my mind changed. I loved my job because of the influence I had on children everyday and when the day came for me to have my own, I wanted to devote my energy to my kids instead of someone else's. I'm not judging working moms; many are forced to work to make ends meet and I'm still hoping to do a little of it part-time. But I can't imagine being away from Little L for 10 hours a day and having to work while getting only broken sleep. Do I miss adult interaction and my freedom during the day? A little. But this where God is calling me right now and I have a lot to learn about doing it well.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful that you are given that chance. I'm grateful for myself as well, getting to be a stay at home mommy. Although sometimes I wonder WHY I went to college to graduate, get a great job with Apple, Inc, then leave it all behind...It's amazing how goals and priorities change when a family enters the picture =)

    Congrats again!

    You will be amazed at the work God continues to do in your heart. Have confidence in yourself and your abilities. =) You will only get better at what you do, and having less adult interaction will become more normal, really!

    ReplyDelete